The only highlight of turning 30 is somewhere, I had a "Thirty Before 30" list. I can't seem to find it anymore so in the interest of turning 30 without a list, I've recreated one to hold myself accountable towards for the next year (I'm not 30 yet - thank goodness). So I thought to myself.. how do I construct a list that truly represents what I wanted to accomplish at 30 before I was a year away? In order to do that, I have to go back to the future (love the movie) and think of what I hoped to accomplish by 30 when I was oh - say 20. So here's my list along with commentary and what will shock you are the things that are on there, indicating what I hadn't done by the age of 20.
1. Get married - done!
2. Have kid(s)- done! one counts!
3. Buy a house - On hold after I married a student.
4. Decorate the newly purchased home - see 3 above
5. Go camping - Andy took me for the first time last year and we're going again this weekend!
6. Go to Europe, specifically Greece - cuz it's amazing and I really love Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (don't lie, you do too!)
7. Go skinny dipping - not sure if this will ever happen.. too risky for my likes but somehow I thought by 30 I might have the guts.
8. Learn how to sew - done, not well... but it just says learn.
9. Get my CPA - done after a brutal number of tries
10. Go on a cruise - pending
11. Go sailing - done
12. Go hiking - done
13. Go on a real vacation (Vegas does not count nor do training weekends before or after, nor do wedding weekends) - done...the honeymoon was my first real vacation (sad huh?)
14. Write a book - pending
15. Learn to cook - I'll say accomplished, it doesn't say learn to cook WELL, just learn to cook
16. Read Fountainhead - my college roommate did and I was so impressed... but never go around to it, the longest bookz I've ever read are A Prayer for Owen Meany (Simon Birch) and Harry Potter!
17. Stop biting my nails - not sure if this will happen
18. Go to a concert - (the Super Korean concert in tenth grade and the college concerts I got to go to for free as a resident assistant don't feel like they really count)
19. Get a six pack ... or a four pack, heck just a line down my stomach indicating I am somewhat ripped - don't think I'll ever accomplish this one
20. Go surfing - done, didn't get up on the board but trying counts
21. Get published - done page 46 anyone?
22. Learn to play the guitar - yeah, some things won't get crossed off my list
23. Run a 5k - done
24. Run a 10k - done
25. Run a half marathon - again, some things won't get crossed off my list cuz I'm over running
26. Do a pull-up - again, some things probably won't get crossed off my list... EVER!
27. Go to the Oscars - I thought I could go as a seat filler after two years with the Firm, but I only made it to the Emmys three times (and we left early the third time because we were a bit bored), guess it's a lost cause unless my brother makes it in the industry!
28. Do some meaningful philanthropic work - done through the Ronald McDonald Camp for Good Times and Philanthro and the Church
29. Learn to french braid - still trying
30. Do the splits - probably never going to happen
And there you have it - in no particular order. 15/30 .... 50% ain't half bad.