Wednesday, August 21, 2013

3 Day Potty Training: Day One

A lot of our friends did the 3 day potty training method, so we decided to try for it ourselves.  Jordan's aware of when he poops and thinks he's pooped when he pees a lot and has been getting better with using his words.

So here's how it went down.  I told Jordan that we were saying good-bye to diapers just like Ducky in this book we got from the library and that we were going to use the "potty chair" today just like Ducky does!

3 wet undies later.... he looked like he needed to poop so we went to the restroom.  Nothing happened.  His undies came off and out he went into the living room commando (where I laid down sheets so I could better see when he wet or pooped as our brown carpet is easily camouflaged).  A few seconds later, he was concentrating.  I knew that look.  Before I could scream "Jordan!" the poop came out and without a thought, I scooped him up and RAN to the restroom, plopped him on the potty chair and told him to poop.  Meanwhile, I ran out and picked up the poop with some Kirkland sanitizing wipes I had, and on my way back to the bathroom, saw what looked like a piece of peanut butter cookie Jordan was eating earlier.  Just to be safe, I picked it up with the wipe and upon feeling the soft texture, knew immediately it was more poop.  What the?  Oh, it probably dropped as I was running with his naked bum in the air.  And that was our gross poop moment.  Back at the potty chair, Jordan was way impressed with the sliver of a poop he left in the potty and he got a sticker and a piece of candy for it.  Lots of TV, some wheat thins and Capri Sun with Sprite later... we had 4 more wet undies but still not acknowledgment of needing to pee beforehand.

He doesn't get it yet.

Everytime, he'd tell me "Mommy!  I pee peed!" and though the instructional books all told me to be aware of any indication he's about to pee, I saw nothing!  No such thing until the trickle down the leg.  So Mommy failed at noticing any "pee" intent and Jordan would only recognize it after the fact.  And I was with him for what felt like every second of the day but of course, any outlier time when I was not within 3 feet of him, he'd pee!

At one point, he ran to the restroom to grab something when I kept asking him if he was needing to pee.  He said, "Mommy, I pee peed!"  There was a slight echo.  When I finally found him, he was in the bath tub, trying to get his swim goggles out - which he has been terrified of until today.  I think he realized he was getting "wet" a lot and needed his goggles.  Weird right?  He also spilled the Sprite a lot and would grab the big blue towel and try to wipe himself up.  Thus, I know he recognizes being wet and doesn't like it - but maybe the undies sort of soak it up for him.  I'm trying to figure out if I need to go commando tomorrow.. but the problem is he starts to play with his ding-dong and that's no bueno either.  

So overall, we failed today.
Bubba had a fine time adding to the poop factor with a ton of blowouts himself today.  

As for me, I woke up with a swollen eye from a stye I suspected was growing in my left eye and tried to rid with a hot compress but couldn't stop from picking at for a while yesterday... 

So I guess we're good being home for another 2 more days.  



3 comments:

Deidra Smith said...

I'm cringing for you. I hate potty training (especially little boys). You are brave. I don't think my boys were ready until they were three. We would try for a couple of days every couple of months from the time they were two, but they just didn't get it until three. My girls on the other hand did better at two. Good luck. I hope he gets it. It is so nice when it is done:)

Genny said...

Bwahahaha, Daisy, that is such a distorted angle of your face.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing. Starting to potty train our child. It is very helpful to see what other parents are experiencing with potty training.

Candace Powell
http://www.pottytrainingsystems.com