Monday, June 4, 2012

A New Me...?

Part of the joy I find in moving is the chance to create a new "me."  From basic re-organizing (which I find immense joy in) to more complex decisions of what old clothes (ones I rarely wear) do I throw away to even more female materialistic driven motives of whether or not to start wearing make-up, the big move gives me a chance to be someone new.

Abandoning my former habits of anti-social work at home mom, I get to start over and make new friends who know nothing about me.  I could have a poorly attempted British accent, and they wouldn't know if it was real or not.  I could speak only Chinese and they'd think me a FOB.  In many ways, it's creepy to put so much thought into it, but in many other ways, it's fascinating to my psyche.

The thought has crossed my mind .... that I can wear make-up and not be complimented on the sudden change because nobody knows (something I tried out when I was in San Jose for a short stint of work and work was a quick 5 minute drive).  I can curl my hair, get bangs, put my hair in a bun, and nobody would notice.  Do I want to spend my days here in Washington as a super duper craft-a-holic mom, a culinary chef of a mom, or a finance savvy mom?  Who knows?!  Who cares?!  But the point is, I get to reinvent me.

It's like college all over again.  The opportunity to be someone new in someplace new.  How grand that thought is.  Let's just hope freshman 15 doesn't repeat itself.

 He gets his lips from his daddy but his pucker from me.
Exploring our new home.  
Washington state, we have arrived.

4 comments:

Lauren said...

We moved a lot growing up, and as annoying as that was, I did enjoy being able to have a fresh start wherever we went. It's a great perk. Good luck on the reinvention and self-discovery! Just don't change too much; we like the South Pas Daisy!

Ashley said...

I feel the exact same way about our upcoming move! Glad to know I'm not the only one that thinks about things like this! For me, I have set a goal to be MUCH more outgoing. I'm a bit of a homebody.

As for the makeup, I think you are stunning without it, so if you started wearing it now it would just be unfair to the rest of us. :)

SupaFlowaPowa said...

@Lauren - hahaha okay, I'll try not to change too much but it is kinda fun to start anew.
@Ashley - hehehe, totally - I'm a huge homebody too! You're too sweet about the make-up but it feels grown up to use make-up so maybe I'll have to start!

Sarah said...

I cannot tell you how much I needed this post. I have been really anxious about our big move to Texas next month. Mostly, I hate the idea of having to start over again (friends, church, home...), but your post has made me think a little differently. Thank you! Seriously, I think Heavenly Father just used this post to help answer the prayers/anxieties of my heart...