Thursday, March 31, 2016

Easter Sunday

Okay, so my blogging is a wee bit out of order, we just do so much here, it's as if we're on an extended vacation!

Throughout the week, we've been having conversations with Jordan about why we celebrate Easter, what happened to Jesus, and also telling him a bit about the world's traditions (like Easter bunny and baskets, and all that jazz).  I think he's at the age when he can start to understand that there's more to this holiday. He woke up and said, "Mom, Easter and Christmas are the same because we get gifts on both," to which I added that it's to celebrate Jesus's resurrection and his birthday.  We then had a discussion about why birthdays are celebrated and well, for a four year old, I think he's doing pretty good... as good as it can be.

We heard from his Sunday school teacher at Church that all the kids were taking turns to use the restroom but he wanted to hear the story about Jesus visiting the Nephis so he said, "I can hold it," with eyes looking straight at her ready to listen.  A huge surprise to us because Jordan is constantly silly and not super attentive, so it's nice to know he might not always be like that with others.

We didn't have "easter outfits" per say, but I guess the pink lace top I brought kind of suffices and the kids wore outfits Grandma had given them a few weeks ago.

Since we're in DC for two months and Florida for one, we didn't have Easter baskets and I didn't want to buy anything we couldn't take with us, so we made some upcycled easter baskets with milk gallons from Costco and a tiny half gallon for Dagny's.  I had grand ideas of making Easter bunny baskets but Jordan took one look at the googled photos and told me they were scary.  He decided he wanted Angry birds instead, so we mustered what we could with what we had around the house and made ourselves some Angry Birds easter baskets!  Bubba was thrilled to have a green pig and we happened to have some leftover foam shamrocks so it worked out well for his ears and stout.

Jordan not understanding why their baskets weren't identical...
the happiest and most grateful of the bunch

not exactly thrilled just yet...


give me a smile Bubba

After we got back from Church and had our lunch and went through our Easter baskets and had a mini egg hunt in the house and backyard, we decided to venture to Tidal Basin along with the rest of the Spring Break crowd to see the cherry blossoms again (this time in fuller bloom!)

the boys eating Dagny's peeps
Dagny got a lollipop, less messy on the Ergo...














We walked all the way around and went through the FDR and MLK memorials.  It was all so beautiful.  I've mentioned before that I didn't grow up religious at all.  To have a family now and know that we will be together forever because of the sacrifice that Jesus made for us, overwhelms me with emotion and gratitude.  I'm happy to do something fun with my kids for the holiday and to also teach them the importance and value of it all.  Because of Him... He is risen!


No comments: