Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Out With The Old, In With The New

I've longed for a new dress for quite some time now.  When Andy graduated, I mulled over what type of new cute summer dress I'd wear, immortalized in all the family photos we'd take, worn in the sunny California weather with the backdrop of the beautiful USC campus.  Just darling!  Instead, I got too busy and too cheap to do any sort of shopping.  Add to that the fact that my days of a new outfit for every single new outing are long past me and all you have is lil ol' me with no new dresses.  Instead, now I'm looking towards how I can rearrange old pieces of clothing already in my existing wardrobe for a new outfit, accessorize, or better yet.... make two dresses into one new one?  DING DING DING!  We have a winner!  I tried the last option yesterday.  Keep in mind I am a new, novice, newbie, very inexperienced wannabe sewer.  So much so that Andy had to advise me the base has a detachable section which makes it capable to sew sleeves - no, I did not know and I sewed me sleeves together and sat there, taking them meticulously apart before redoing it again!

I have a bunch of old dresses I don't wear anymore - some because they are too short, some because they do not fit my now Mormon modesty standards, and some because they aren't as cute as they used to be.  I had been eyeing the "modestify your summer dresses" blog post from Sarah from her Welcome to the Good Life blog since Jordan was born - showing it to my mother-in-law, who was staying with us at the time, and is an amazing seamstress.  For the wedding I'm in this weekend, I had envisioned adding sleeves - but the dress was a lot more bare than I thought - and my mother-in-law saved the day by making me a cute lil matching jacket from extra material J. Crew sent me (after many complaints and e-mails).  I couldn't do it for my bridesmaid dress but I wanted something cute for the rehearsal dinner and I didn't want to layer any of my existing dresses because it's going to be hot in Napa Valley! and let's be honest, it's not 1993 and a t-shirt underneath a spaghetti strap dress isn't as cute as it was when Monica wore it on Friends back then.  In her blog posts, Sarah always talks about how her projects are for beginners, but might I just add - there should be a category for pre-beginner because that's where I was yesterday!  The project took me a sincere two and a half hours - including cutting, sewing, un-sewing, re-sewing, un-sewing, re-sewing, etc.  Alas, I have a new dress - no, it wasn't free given the time spent on it, but come to think of it - I don't have the luxury of time to shop on my own anymore... Jordan makes it very hard to get any shopping done, sure he's content for about twenty minutes, but I've always liked shopping alone and he cramps my style.

 





1 comment:

Deidra Smith said...

Nice! It looks great. What a thrifty resourceful mormon girl you're becoming;) My mom taught me to sew a little when I was younger and I still don't do much more than straight lines ie: pajama bottoms and patchwork quilts. Sleeves are my nemesis.