Sunday, January 20, 2013

I'm Back....

When "Phil Good" first started, there was only one author, me. Then I got married, and there was still only one author, Daisy. Somehow with the new year, I ended up resolving to start blogging with my wife again. Hopefully I won't turn away too many of the faithful readers that Daisy has been able to draw these past two years.

Just the other day, we decided to go to the YMCA for a little swim together as a family. When Jordan saw us get his trunks out, his face immediately lit up, and started undressing as much as he could. We got ready, jumped in the van and took off. When we got there we couldn't find a parking spot, so I had to drop off J Denny and Daisy at the front and circle around the lot a few times, stalking the people who were leaving the gym. After a few laps, I finally got my timing right and found a spot.

When I complained to Daisy about my difficulties in finding a spot, she reminded me about the fact it was January, and that gyms tend to be super busy in January with everyone still being excited about their resolutions; things should calm down in a few weeks. A pretty sad statement, but probably pretty true.

Somehow regardless of how motivated we are when we embark on self improvement, the motivation slowly slips away. We can try to motivate ourselves with monetary rewards (my Dad offers a monetary reward, but many in our family still fall short), by calling your shots, leaving yourself to public humiliation if you fail (we'll see how this goes!), or by some sort of loss of privilege if you don't follow through (that doesn't sound fun).

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would love to hear about them. As for now, I am just going to try to follow Jordan's example, as he seems to have it figured out given that he accomplishes some new milestone nearly weekly. Seems like all it takes is a big goofy grin, and a lot of energy. I can do that, right?

No comments: