Thursday, September 27, 2012

Facebook Fast


Recently, I've taken a break from Facebook.  I have still gone on in the last two weeks, but the duration of my stays have been limited to checking messages, notifications, and then signing off which is always less than 5 minutes.

To say I had a little problem with Facebook stalking is a gross understatement.

Deleting the account is not an option as my personal account is linked to my business account, which is used to post articles we share or other worthy news.  It's also pretty amazing the people you can find who you are linked to.

My problem with Facbeook is having joined in 2004, I have quite a bit of people whom I've only met once, interacted with a few times, or just know from school, work, camp, etc.  I have invested the time to clean up the friend groups, but it can really be a huge time suck, especially once you start to see photos, children, or just how much someone has changed!  Clicking on photos, scrolling through walls, wasting time like a sick addiction.

Apparently, I'm not alone.  I found numerous articles about F.A.D. (facebook addiction) but merely scrolled through them.  This one sums it up best, that women are the easiest victims due to our natural social tendencies.
The article lists these six considerations that one must answer with very rarely, rarely, sometimes, often, or very often.


  • You spend a lot of time thinking about Facebook or plan to use Facebook. 
  • You feel an urge to use Facebook more and more. 
  • You use Facebook in order to forget about personal problems. 
  • You have tried to cut down on the use of Facebook without success.
  • You become restless or troubled if you are prohibited from using Facebook.
  • You use Facebook so much that it has a negative impact on your job/studies.
Okay, so maybe I am exaggerating my own problem as only 4 and 6 are more likely.  Whatever the case, better to nip it in the butt now than later!  

Plus, this isn't the first time I've tried to give up Facebook, this is simply the first time I really feel like I'm making progress.  Part of it is my time away from Facebook is spent on more important things like spending time with Jordan, ensuring my work is error free and that I'm one step ahead, and homemaking (this one's the hardest!).

I love my Facebook fast.  It also helps that my closest friends are social media rejects.  Therefore, knowing what's happening in their life involves picking up the phone and having an actual conversation.

I hope I don't get hungry for some Facebook soon because this is nice.  I feel free... empowered... invigorated... in control!  I guess that's what breaking free of an addiction can do to you.


No comments: