Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Magic of Turning Eight Weeks Old

Ever since Jordan came home with us, my incessant reading of how to, what to do and what not to do pregnant websites and newsletters plethora of advice had me believing six weeks old would be the magical week when Jordan would sleep more and we would no longer be sleep deprived. Everyone made fun of me - what was wrong with me? Why did I somehow think the switch would go off and the milestone of SIX weeks would become better? I'm not sure - I guess you just cling onto the hope of something better than what you are currently enduring. You secretly hope your kid will be the outlier, small 5% that magically sleeps longer starting at six weeks without a change in routine - just a magical switch.

And then you reach six weeks. And nothing happens. And then you realize... adapt. adjust. accept.

So that's exactly what I did. I was lucky to have May here with me because between the two of us, the average wake up time was usually 9 or 10 AM with someone (mostly May) keeping Jordan company in the morning since that is when he's most alert and happy to interact and naptime was actually possible!

Jordan turned 8 weeks old this past Saturday and I had no expectation for any change. To my surprise, beginning Sunday (and hopefully I'm not jinxing myself here...), Jordan has consistently been going to sleep at 10 or 11 PM with a feeding at 2 or 3 AM and a wake-up feeding at 6 or 7 AM. The wake-up feeding is nice because that's when Andy gets up to get ready for work (I hesitated using the word "work" since it conveys he is being paid when he is not...) so simultaneously, Jordan gets to play with both of us!

The magic of turning eight weeks old may or may not be magic. It may be a fluke, but I'll take whatever I can!

In other news, our days without May have been lonelier in the home which has encouraged Jordan and me to bust out all my old Disney soundtracks (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King, Pocahantas), and venture out on walks with our neighbors, lunch with friends and trips to the mall (we love free a/c and nice Nordstrom mothers' lounges). Today, Jordan officially turned TWO MONTHS OLD! We took some photos of him in his diapers (always a happy time for him) in hopes of tracking his size changes with time. And I leave you with that...






2 comments:

Sarah said...

He is SO cute! I don't understand the thing with six weeks for people; both my boys were still "hard" then. For me it was at 12 weeks where I felt like life was (a new) normal.

I hope Jordan keeps up his schedule. That's pretty great for his age!

Babe said...

He is so beautiful!!