Friday, February 26, 2016

My Premature Mid-Life Crisis

Lately, I've been struggling a lot with my outward appearance.  Superficial I know.  I came across some wardrobe stylist suggestions about body types, color seasons, and signature styles.  I became instantly and superficially self-absorbed, wanting to know exactly how to diagnose myself and how to better portray myself.  In my research and self analysis, I determined that I don't really have a "style" so to speak, and the color I feel most comfortable wearing is likely black, a dark blue comes in a close second with little spurts of pink here and there.  The only style I don't quite experiment with is "bohemian" but I am a little romantic, a little traditional, a little modern, and a little dramatic, all at once.  To be honest, it's really a non-issue for the most part since I rarely get fully dressed to go out.  I feel quite comfortable in my baggy workout pants (Lululemon mind you!) and a loose comfy concert t-shirt.  I almost immediately change into my old gaucho pants circa 2000 once I'm home, they're soft, loose, and absolute perfection.  I don't like clothes too tight, I prefer them looser, but I also don't want to look like I'm swimming in my clothes.  I know I'm difficult to shop for, my mom is only starting to get it 30 something years later.

Anyway, in the rut that I was, I wanted change.  Without feeling comfortable going out and spending money on a new wardrobe (and because I'm really picky when it comes to shopping and it takes me a long time to find something I truly like), I decided a quick bang cut might be my best bet.  I have had bangs in the past, but never blunt across the forehead fresh off the boat kind.  I've had side swept or barely there bangs.  Normally, I'd be nervous but with the upcoming trip to DC, I saw it as an opportunity for a look that I might not feel myself in in a new place as exciting, and a little safe.

So I went today... and I came out with blunt across the forehead fresh off the boat bangs.  I was going to go for a less blunt look but the hairstylist convinced me to go with this look, something about my face shape and how it'd work.  I shoulda gone with my gut, nevertheless my BFF and Andy both liked it, so I guess that's a good sign.  Bubba didn't recognize me when I went to go pick him up, he stared at me suspiciously for a few seconds before realizing it was his mom.  Then, he wouldn't stop telling me how "funny" it looked.  Jordan told me I didn't look like his mom.  When I asked him who I looked like, he said, "an asian girl."  Funny... I guess he didn't get the memo that I am Asian.  Dagny, however, didn't even flinch when she saw me.  She just walked toward me per normal and sat in my lap.

Before...
After.. dun dun DUN!!! 

My dad was also surprised.  He told me my mom would be mad, because she would think I looked like a China girl.  I talked to my mom the next morning and needles to say, it was not positive.  First, she asked if that was really my hair.  Like I was wearing a wig or something?  Then, before I could even say anything else besides yes, she went on about how awful and why did I do that to my once beautiful hair, and oh at least it will grow out, nothing to get too upset about.  ..... Excuse me?  I was so mad, but I've learned from 30 something years that it's no use getting mad.  I told her I was busy with work (which I truly was at the time) and I hung up the phone.  Jeesh.  This on top of her telling me not to get too skinny because it will make me look older faster.  Ugh, my mom is so infuriating sometimes!!  Alas, that's for the other blog...

after shot with ponytail!
My in-laws weren't too excited either.  My mother-in-law told me how hard bangs are to maintain and my father-in-law just laughed when Bubba told me again how funny my hair looks.  The important thing is that my husband and best friends, all LOVE it.  I say LOVE because that's exactly how they exclaimed their joy over it.  My BFF said it is so much more fun than my boring old hairdo before.  My other bestie said it makes me look 28, she also said it'd be hard to maintain but that it'd be worth it to have something different for a while.   Woo hoo!  Score!

I'm still not used to it.  I think it looks quite fobby, it bothers me a bit to have something constantly hanging on my forehead, but I needed a change and this is a nice one.  I may get more adventurous with my hair next time and go for half shaved?  Pixie?  Highlights?  Who knows what the future holds for this hair adventurer now!